onsdag 27 oktober 2010

I'm going to make a movie!

Well I'm not actually making the movie myself but I plan to write the screenplay for it. I have been in contact with the author, Roger L. Di Silvestro, of "Ursula's gift" about aqcuiring the movie rights for his book.

It all started when I was about 12 and I read a book in Swedish called "Varulvens tid" or directly translated "Time of the werewolf". It was a fantasy-comedy that I thought was very cool. I reread it in later years and I still liked it. Many years later I still like fantasy and I feel that I miss not seeing this book turned into a movie when it's so great!

One evening I thought to myself: Why can't I write the screenplay? It can't be that hard, the story is already there so all I have to do is basically just decide how to interpret it into visual mode. So.. how do one go about this? I had no clue. I searched the web for how to turn books into movies and came up with the advise that I should acquire the movie rights for it. All I had to do was to contact the publishing company and I would be on my way.

The only problem was that the publishing company consisted of a single person, Donald A. Fine, and his company Donald A. Fine, Inc. and Donald, had passed away. After searching for a while I found that Penguin Books had incorporated the company but after searching their database I came up short. No rights for that book to be found.

I gave up and didn't continue until after a few weeks when I thought of contacting the author himself and ask him if he knew who held the righs currently. After several very nice letters back and forth between me and Roger I have now acquired the rights to turn his book into a screenplay. Hurray!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar